Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Narcisissm...or just plain teaching.

As teachers narcissism is almost required. We have to enjoy listening to ourselves, looking at our same creation (be it seating charts, room decorations, etc) day in and out, but what about in our pedagogy?
Our students come from various backgrounds as we all know, and as Schneider addresses in her essay, so how do we teach in a way that doesn't exclude a group? She says, "Teaching students that writing is an act of hope, a determination to go on rather than be done, a decision to make a difference for the better, seems a more productive use of time than teaching them to feel OK about themselves by encouraging them to see only themselves everywhere they look" (931).
Some of our theory attempts to take away the differences we have in order to make us all one, equal. This is NOT a bad thing, but we do need to celebrate our differences through writing. By exalting their differences they will give themselves hope, and hopefully disintegrate the unknown segregation they have in the class as Schneider pointed out.
This essay makes me wonder if I make exceptions or act differently with students of a different race. As mentioned, we have loads of different backgrounds, so will I unknowingly give preference to students who come from a similar background to myself? This is something I will be monitoring though my pedagogy in time to come. It also makes me want to sway more toward the writing side of the pendulum so I can maybe treat the study more fairly...that is...if I am bias...

2 comments:

  1. While promoting "hope" through writing sounds wonderful, I wonder if Schneider has any specific strategies to foster that hope for the students who have already given up and just don't care (about anything). Fighting the powerful 'sales icons' the students relate to after years (lifetimes, really) isn't easy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the "I don't care" about ANYTHING factor is huge too. Not that I have experience, but I doubt that is seen too much in the Academy as they are making a decision to be in college and study whereas in HS they are required to be there.

    ReplyDelete